Get Miracast working on Surface Pro original with TH2 10586
I wrote about how Microsoft broke Miracast for Surface Pro original users when Windows 8.1 was released https://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2013/10/26/how-to-make-miracast-work-on-surface-pro/ and surprise, surprise, they’ve done it again with TH2 Build 10586. The supplied driver for the Marvell Wireless is not Miracast enabled. I don’t know why, as the chip is the same as the Surface Pro 2.
Here’s an unsupported way to get Miracast to work on your SP original with 10586.
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49042 and download Surface Pro 2\SurfacePro2_Win10_150818_0.zip. Open the archive and copy the WiFi folder from SurfacePro2_Win10_150818_0.zip\SurfacePro2_Win10_150818_0\Drivers\Network\WiFi to your desktop or other place where you can easily find it. Then follow these instructions:
- Type Device Manager in the Cortana/Search box and open it.
- Find Network adapters, expand it, right-click on Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller, and then select Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Click Have Disk.
- Click Browse.
- Navigate to the Wifi folder (it has the INF file for the wifi driver), then click Open.
Go to the Action center, select Connect and your Miracast device should be discovered. Connect and enjoy!
Above shows a successful Miracast streaming session with my Surface Pro original happily connected to a Microsoft Display Adapter.