There is no mention whatsoever of the new support for WPA2 in the version info/release notes for the latest mini pci driver for most newer IBM Thinkpads. But, it’s in there. Definitely and positively.
has a download for driver 126.96.36.199a which enables WPA2 support for
– IBM 11abg Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter
– IBM 11abg Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II
– IBM Dual-Band Wi-Fi Wireless Mini-PCI Adapter ( 11ab )
– IBM 11bg Wireless LAN Mini PCI adapter
for the following Thinkpad systems:
– ThinkPad G40, G41
– ThinkPad R40
– ThinkPad R50, R50p, R51, R52
– ThinkPad T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p
– ThinkPad X31, X32, X40, X41–
This is totally unsupported, at your own risk. It will void your warranty. Microsoft won’t support you, I can’t support you. Your computer will report that you have a Dell True Mobile card after you perform this update. It’s fun to lie to your computer! It shows you are the boss.
You’ll need the MS update installed to enable WPA2 before you attempt this.
1. Go to
2. Use Winzip or Winrar to expand to a directory on your hard drive, do NOT run the EXE.
3. Open device manager (right click my computer, manage, device manager)
4. Go to Network Adapters, Select the MN-720
5. Right click it and select Update Driver
6. Don’t connect to the Internet, Manually select the driver to install, do not search.
7. Browse to the directory where you extracted the files and select bcmwl5.inf
8. Have Disk, select the True Mobile 1350 PC Card
9. Your laptop will now think you have a Dell True Mobile Card —
10. You’ll be WPA2 empowered
I’m sure that similar steps will work with the MN-730 PCI card by selecting a 1350 PCI Card but I have NOT tried this myself.
If you are not happy with the results, use Driver Rollback in Device Manager.