I wrote about how Microsoft broke Miracast for Surface Pro original users when Windows 8.1 was released http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2013/10/26/how-to-make-miracast-work-on-surface-pro/ and surprise, surprise, they’ve done it again with TH2 Build 10586. The supplied driver for the Marvell Wireless is not Miracast enabled. I don’t know why, as the chip is the same as the Surface Pro 2.
Here’s an unsupported way to get Miracast to work on your SP original with 10586.
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49042 and download Surface Pro 2\SurfacePro2_Win10_150818_0.zip. Open the archive and copy the WiFi folder from SurfacePro2_Win10_150818_0.zip\SurfacePro2_Win10_150818_0\Drivers\Network\WiFi to your desktop or other place where you can easily find it. Then follow these instructions:
- Type Device Manager in the Cortana/Search box and open it.
- Find Network adapters, expand it, right-click on Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller, and then select Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Click Have Disk.
- Click Browse.
- Navigate to the Wifi folder (it has the INF file for the wifi driver), then click Open.
Go to the Action center, select Connect and your Miracast device should be discovered. Connect and enjoy!
Above shows a successful Miracast streaming session with my Surface Pro original happily connected to a Microsoft Display Adapter.
Microsoft has released a firmware update for the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter which may help some users experiencing connection problems (black screens, disconnects, etc. The “gotcha” is that in order to update the firmware, you have to have access to a TV/Monitor where you can make a successful Miracast connection and run the Windows Store App http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/microsoft-wireless-display/92ecc09f-9f01-4f9d-9e04-dd412d758b1a that lets you update the firmware. Once you have connected successfully to a Miracast session, here are the steps to update the MWDA:
1. You need to create a password in order to access settings and update firmware, minimum six characters. Create this password and confirm it.
2. Update message will appear (close the app and sign back in if needed). Select Download.
3. Tap/click the blue update button
4. Tap/click the Start button
5. You can view the progress bar (and also you can view on the connected TV; the update is very fast and you might miss it if you blink!
6. You will see a success message (hopefully).
7. Close the app and verify you can connect to the TV that you used to perform the update.
8. Connect the MWDA to the TV you previously experienced problems and see if your issue is resolved.